Monday, January 30, 2006

I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away



I love this band.

Formed in 1992 (Olympia), Lync may have only burned briefly, but they continue to be a major source of inspiration. I can't pretend to have been there from the beginning, but their impact on bands like Built to Spill and Modest Mouse is clear for all to see. They endure, because like Drive Like Jehu, they deserve to. I was indirectly exposed to them through Love As Laughter (as I imagine a lot of people were), but while Greks Bring Love and #1 U.S.A. might hint at the sludgier nature of Sam Jayne's musical vision, Lync were always a glorious mess; albeit a controlled one.

They may have only left behind one studio album ('These Are Not Fall Colors), but this 1994 K Records release accomplishes more than some bands manage in their entire 'career.' Expertly showcasing Sam Jayne's open tunings and frantic/shouty vocals; which combine with James Bertram's own heavy bass sound - we're talking Jesus Lizard here - to create a shitstorm of distortion and background hiss that's undeniably their own. Jayne and Betram fight it out for predominance, while Schneider plays the drums as well as anyone could hope to do under the circumstances. Actually, no, he's controlling things.

In all honesty, tracks like 'Hands and Knees' pretty much exist to disprove any lame comparisons I can muster; and counteract the lo-fi brawl that ensues over the frantic 'Perfect Shot' and the kinetically charged 'Silver Spoon Glasses.'

Lync - Perfect Shot

<BUY THEIR ALBUMS HERE>

Issue Six of Loose Lips Sink Ships is avaliable for purchase online, and in all good record stores. I think it's total triumph and certainly worthy of your attention.

I don't get to see many new films, but Walk the Line is incredible and I can't praise the lead performances enough - Reese Witherspoon is a revelation. Watch it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home