Thursday, June 02, 2005

And they give you the goat for free!


Photo:Ricky Adam

I'm now officially a Nottingham resident and the lone-gigging season is in full flow. I've been listening to a lot of Fugazi recently. There might be songs with whistling ("The Kill") and even some Ooohhing ("Full Disclosure"), but the "The Argument" is still Fugazi.. I had a great night at the Cabaret the other night. HOT SNAKES WERE FUCKING AWESOME. The world need more John Reis like characters.. Well, I know it and that's enough. First band on were Metal Gear Solid Madonnas. There were some whisperings in the crowd that this was going to be loud and when I saw a dude from Lords with earplugs I kinda knew I was going to be in for it. Featuring ex members of Mod Fuck Explosion and X-Rays the heavier than Kyuss label is a great pun and certainly a fitting description of this band. Some loud guitar playing married with cutting bass lines and some fantastic vocals - sporadic as they were. They were great. Whenever you get the chance to catch them, do so; you won't regret it. It was certainly a change from Dot to Dot anyway. Dan Sartain was similiarly excellent and while I expected him to be great live he still managed to suprise - and the crowd - by ripping through a set like a musician who has played for three lifetimes. Everybody seemed impressed; I only wish I managed to pick up some of his earlier work while I was there, but I just didn't have the money. That's also my excuse for missing out on the Magic Band playing with Lords the night after, but I know, money is never an excuse when music like that is on offer. Forgive me, for I really did sin on that occasion.

Oh, if you hadn't already guessed, I didn't originally have any ideas for where this was going but since I started talking about Fugazi I might aswell right some more fan drivel about "The Argument". I won't bore you with context but there was some expectation surrounding this album; especially after "End Hits" which a lot of people generally regard as being too experimental. I think I like this because it's kinda all over the place; not overly experimental, but certainly different enough from their earlier "classic" work. Like I said: classic Fugazi. How can you mistake their sound anyway? It's just impossible. 'Full Disclosure', 'Epic Problem', 'The Kill' 'Oh' and 'Ex Spectator' - don't ask me to pick a favourite - rank among their best and the album itself, whilst often changing in tempo never compromises with the material and always makes for seriously atmospheric listening at times. Yes yes, i'm one of those people who think they haven't made a bad record so I suppose you should take what i'm saying with a pinch of salt...Actually, no, just listen to the following song and it rock every part of your being; it is Ian Mackaye. STOP! Listen, and more importantly BUY!

Fugazi - Epic Problem

Buy at Insound and look to the Fugazi Live Series which is fully endorsed by the band - Personally, i'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff myself. Does anybody want to buy it for my birthday tomorrow?

3 Comments:

At 10:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love this album too. Its a more "mature" album...but like you I love them all. Are they officially broken up or on hiatus, you know? Id love a new Fugazi record. What do you think of The Evens (Ians project)? -T

 
At 6:41 am, Blogger StopBeingCarbon said...

I don't know what's going on with them at the moment, but I do remember not being overly impressed with The Evens when I heard some of their stuff.

 
At 3:56 am, Blogger guanoboy said...

saw the evens live and loved them, like the album as well. but as you said in your post, I'm a fan of ian and it's hard for me to find wrong in what he does (although some of his one-off side projects weren't all that great).

fugazi are simply "it" live as well.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home