Thursday, April 21, 2005

Greasy fingers strung together



Oh, if you're in anyway confused as to what that picture above is all about...

Nigel Turner, or rather Pickled Egg records, have a rather fantastic Double CD Compilation which is now avaliable directly from their site, or at Jar. Yes, that's right: Eggstock. Although Summer Sundae isn't shaping up too badly (No, really), Nigel really is spoiling us with his launch party to "Jar". You can read all about it here.

I wake up every day with the intention of updating this site, but either I never get around to it, or I can't think of anything to talk about. Although...Wait for it..Yes, you've guessed it. I have something I want to talk about. You see, in my world, it's the most antipated album of the year; but as you're probably aware already, i'm an utterly hopeless case, in desperate need of help. Shit. I have to be more optimistic than this. Just be thankful that I don't senerade you with tales of "The Office." Unfortunately, i'm talking about my place of world and not the... What can I say that hasn't already been said about Dan Snaith? I could talk about him being forced to change the name of his previous moinker...No, I don't need to waste even more of your time over that. I don't know what it is, but most of the reviews for "The Milk of Human Kindness" seem to be preoccupied with that "threat" of a lawsuit from Hansome Dick Manitoba (of The Dictators fame)...Who cares? Ok, so i'm talking about it, but I don't have a word limit.

Since you probably want to know what i'm blathering about, I think i'll get back to basics. Manitoba/Caribou is essentially, downbeat electronica and i'll be as honest with you as I can, as a general rule, I don't invest too much of my time into the world of abstract sampling and electronic noise. However, Dan Snaith is the exception (despite the fact that i've now totally started to understand the critical interest in Four Tet, but that's a different story)and for that reason alone he demands your attention. Caribou might not have progressed leaps and bounds from the journey that is it's predecesor ("Up in Flames") did, but it does take you on enough twists and turns to the trip worthwhile.

Of course, with records like this, you are presented with the obvious problem: If you obsessed about the previous record, how can you ever think objectively about the new material? Well, it's a good question I suppose. I can't access the sound of this record in the same way that I attempt to break down other records. The music builds up from moments of nothingness only to explode, and shatter into beautifully textured sounds and strange vocal effects. This is particuarly evident in the album's fantastic finale ("Barnowl") but the whole record is geared up in this way. From the military like drumming of "Brahminy Kite" to the lush string arrangments and dream like vocal warblings that characterise, "Hello Hammerheads." This is the soundtrack to a summer running around with reckless abandon, through heavily wooded areas with no clothes on whilst blindfolded, and covered with jam - I'VE NEVER DONE THAT!

It's also great for if you don't do stuff like that. The following track kinda sounds like "Hallogallo" alive and well again after time travelling back to Woodstock and taking some real acid. *ahem*

Caribou - Bees

Oh, and since we all have to stick together in this, i'd like to alert you to another fellow Leicestonian on the blogger network. Ben aka Stereo Sanctity - Yes, after the Sonic Youth track. Although i'm still jealous about him going to ATP this weekend, don't let that stop you reading.....I've only today been reading his interview with Oneida and his various lists, well, we all like lists - as long as they're not of the Channel 4 variety, of course.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is the "pete" that is referred to many times in Stereo Sanctity you by any chance?

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger StopBeingCarbon said...

I don't think so, no. Pete is a pretty common name.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home