Thursday, March 24, 2005

Pel Mel (No clever title today)



I'd like to start this post by alerting you all to the wonders of Strange Reaction. Things are shaping up rather nicely over there I have to say. Now, I could apologise forever about not updating this site regularly, but it inevitably boils down to me being lazy and well, there isn't much I can do about that i'm afraid. I'll try harder? Yeah, I won't say "sorry" because it's a word that people no longer take seriously in this country and I already use it a lot....What could that mean? Actually, i'm being unusually hard on myself. I just don't seem to have the time at the moment. Anyway, i'm here now, and you should all be (sort of) thankful.. I have some delightful angular and upfront Aussie based Punk courtesy of Tales from the Australian Underground - Singles 1976-1989. Yaas, it's compilation; it's cheating, but like i've already said: i'm tired. I can't wait for this long weekend you know. Pel Mel sound like an early Cure and Wire mixed with The Buzzcocks and although I can only listen to one track of theirs over and over, it's good and I don't care.

I have some information on Pel Mel that you might find interesting: Although largely unknown even now, they were one of the most easily recognisable inner city bands of the period - even if they never really recieved any further recognition for their music. It might sound crazy after listening to "No Word From China" for the first time, but they also evolved to become even more funk influenced, and despite a relentless amount of touring and hark work they never really broke through to the main stream. Members from Pel Mel went on to form The Limp, but that's another story. Anyway, you should all check out this retrospective. It's not as hit as miss as you might expect, and the compiler obviously put a lot of thought into the track listing. It certainly sounds like they were exciting times anyway. Lots of energy.

Pel Mel - No Word From China

Check out No Nights Sweat for further information on Pel Mel and Australian music.

2 Comments:

At 7:03 pm, Anonymous ingrown hair said...

Hi Pete, Out surfing for information on skin boil & happened upon your site. While Pel Mel (No clever title today) wasn't exactly spot on, it did strike a note with me. Thank you for the really good read.

 
At 1:56 pm, Blogger job opportunitya said...

Unbelievable blog. I can hardly wait to vist this
site again.I'm consistently looking up blogs like
this.
I will give you access to jump to my disapointments plastic surgery blog.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home