Sunday, January 30, 2005

Scratch, start, stop and start again

Blonde Now unless we're talking about Nation Of Ulysses a band "manifesto" is fairly pointless, isn't it? I think it is. If you can't have some fun with it then what's the point? Fortunately for this reader,The Long Blondes manifesto reads more like: "we were influenced by x and not by y" so it really doesn't matter anyway. All this stands for even less, when you actually hear the music; which is at once decidedly different and uptempo than your average NME band (you know, gifted hype that they don't deserve until it eventually becomes unsustainable). I'm not going to get into name calling though. There are exceptions to the rule anyway. Maximo Park for instance. I managed to catch them at the Liars Club on Thursday and they were brilliant. I was gutted that Help She Can't Swim couldn't make it, but The Marble Index were really good anyway - even if people were fairly indifferent to them. I'm fairly partial to some Interpol aswell. Actually, I like Interpol, so shoot me (just not in the face).

*Drifts back on topic*

The Long Blondes are signed to Angular Records who brought out a really good sampler last year that I can't get hold of (?) Maybe they'll read this and send me a copy? The band splice together the powers of 70's New-Wave and Punk to create a sound which is suprisingly distinctive - I know, it's such a cliche. I'm sure they'd like to see themselves compared to Roxy Music - which of course they are, at times - but they also sound like Young Marble Giants fighting it out with The Slits over which track to cover in a tribute night to none other than: The B52's. This review appears at a time when i've only actually heard a handful of their tracks, but when you finish listening to "Giddy Stratospheres" you won't care abou that either. It has handclaps, stratching guitars, hooks, and a pop sound which is complimented with some quirky and haunting vocals courteousy of Kate. Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned the other band members yet. The Long Blondes are: Kate, Screech, Emma, Dorian, and Reenie. Wonderful

The Long Blondes - Giddy Stratospheres

Click here to view their website. You can also find detail s on how to buy their new 7" on their website and at Angular Records

4 Comments:

At 11:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your intention is to encourage people to buy music, why are you giving away said music for free. Once people have the track, they are arguably less likely to buy it. You should just do a sample or something.
And by the same token, why would Angular send you a copy of their comp for free? You are giving away their music, which they might not be happy about, and you've said that people should be buying it! Do you not include yourself in that because you host a blog...?!?

 
At 5:35 pm, Blogger StopBeingCarbon said...

I understand what you're saying, but the music is only avaliable for a week and it's hardly my fault if the people decide not to buy the music. Speaking for myself, I have uncovered a lot of interesting bands via this medium, and certainly couldn't have seen myself buying an album by "Sharon Jones the Dap Kings" ("Naturally") this time last year.

 
At 5:37 pm, Blogger StopBeingCarbon said...

Oh, and regarding the sampler: It isn't avaliable to buy anymore.

 
At 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

which sampler do you mean?
I bought the Rip Off Yr Labels one quite recently from the angular site.
Damn fine it was too!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home