Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Still burning brightly



Right then, Manitoba. Dan Snaith might not be allowed to produce any more albums like “Up in Flames” under the Manitoba moniker, but they’re always going to be good old Manitoba to me. I’m probably not breaking any new ground in discussing how great this album is, but after looking through the linear notes in the CD case the other day I came across the receipt, and yes, I’ve been playing this album constantly for over a year now. I wouldn’t really call what I’m writing now a review, it’s more like a homage, because “Up in Flames” is just up there for me. I’m normally not that interested in Electronica music, but since listening to this album I’ve definitely started to realise why people like Four Tet et al so much - I mean, lets face it, it’s generally seen as being a lifeless and soulless musical genre, and the although fairly impressive at times, they’re making music on a lap top.

Manitoba bring you instruments like the guitar, saxophone, glockenspiel, and keyboards and blend them together like you wouldn’t believe. Words like cut and paste even become an understatement; as Dan Snaith makes instrumental music sound fresh more alive then should be possible. It’s sounds like what you’d imagine an acid flashback from the 60’s might sound like. Its invigorating, life-affirming energy that improves on repeated listening, and has been made to demand your full attention throughout its 39-minute running time. It's been said that even Lester Bangs found it difficult when he wrote about his favourite bands, but I will say this: There aren't many albums that successfully break free from the confines of their own genre - and cross over in the progress - but "Up In Flames" is one of them. But by all means, judge for yourself:

Buy from Amazonand for their Official Site click here

Manitoba – Kid You’ll Move Mountains

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home